Tuesday, January 20, 2015

What I look forward to most about my upcoming move is escaping my current work environment. I work at a high end restaurant and I am the only non-white server. There is only one other non-white employee and she works the bar, so we don’t interact much. We’re both liteskint and conventionally attractive and I have no doubt that’s why we were hired. 


This environment is killing me slowly. It’s like choking down poison. Always being fawned over as a “gypsy”, the objectification, the tokenism, the islamophobia. I mean, coworkers are never your friends but it is hard to work in a place where I know most of my coworkers probably don’t register me as a person, even. Navigating their social field of microaggression and casual racism is tiring as hell. I’m excited to move and change and to try and find a less white job.

No comments:

Post a Comment