Friday, February 13, 2015

silencingthedrums:

silencingthedrums:




silencingthedrums:



pancakesprince:



kurgy:



bruixeria:


I still cannot believe we live in a world where people think Cassandra and Sebastian Vael, and now fucking Krem, are not white. Like, when is DA fandom going to grow up.


you know you could argue…







So non-white characters and white characters can’t have the same background in a fantasy world? White characters can have a narrative that non-white characters inherently can’t? I thought your problem was that all the brown characters had crappy trope backgrounds? (Which I agree with in terms of DA:O and II, btw)



That…is exactly my problem. I’m saying that given the narratives for Krem, Cassandra and Sebastian clearly establish that they are white in Bioware’s view because they don’t have the cliche trope history that Bioware gives their brown and black characters. It’s not a question of whether some characters inherently have a narrative that others can’t, it’s a question of look at the narratives Bioware assigns certain characters and look at the ones who get a different story and what that says. It’s the same as how Bioware portrays all their queer characters (with one exception) as deviant and their morally upright/religious characters are all straight.

I don’t get what is so hard to understand about this but I am ESL so I might be articulating my thoughts wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment